Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My Rant

Last night I went to the Emergency room because I think I may be having gallbladder attacks. Not really a big deal but while I was at the ER a comment someone made really bothered me. First of all, it took me 2 days after I had a severe attack to even go to the hospital and only after I phoned my family doctor and couldn't get in and also Healthlinks. While I was sitting waiting to be admitted (which in my opinion was very speedy) a women and her husband came in who were probably in their 60's. I overheard him say to the reception he was there because his baby toe was sore. Chris and I kind of looked at each other with a knowing smile because we are totally thinking to ourselves "you came to the ER for a sore toe and you walked in so how sore could it really be!" but to each their own. Then after they had been waiting to be seen no longer than 5 minutes, the wife makes a comment about her tax dollars hard at work and how ridiculous the wait was. I couldn't believe my ears! I mean seriously do people not realize how lucky we are that we live in a country where we can go to the ER for a sore toe and not pay a cent??!! It really makes me sad that people are so quick to bash our medical system, honestly I know it has it's problems and no system is perfect but come on!! Maybe the system would be alittle better if people weren't running in for sore baby toes!
I feel alittle better now that I have gotten that off my chest...

4 comments:

Chantal Wiebe, M.Ed said...

and what about having a baby??? that would cost us $10 000 per baby in the US for a standard delivery!!! no thanks - I'll take free medical care ANY DAY and twice on Sunday!! sorry you had to wait though!!!

Brooke said...

No kidding, I can't imagine having to take out a loan just to have a baby and then only getting 6 weeks mat leave if you are lucky!

Anonymous said...

there is still room for improvement....ie, some competition might improve the level and speed of care..what is wrong with publicly funded, privately administered health care?

I'm back...... said...

Hey Brooke, it's Frank's sister. I work in the hospital and am totally with you in regards to your post. I could write a book about the comments and complaints that come from people. The ironic thing is that, as your post mentioned, the people who complained are the people who could have waited until the next day and gone to see their family doctor.

I think Manitobans should start paying for their health care costs out of their wallets.